CORONAVIRUS UPDATE : NATIONAL LEAGUE SYSTEM
UPDATE 1 - 12th March 2020
The latest advice from Government is that there is presently no rationale to close or cancel sporting events, but this may change as the situation evolves.
There is a higher likelihood of severe illness the older you are (not an increased chance of contracting the virus), with those under 25 likely to be unaffected by the disease. However, there is no age-specific guidance at this moment in time.
Sports are asked to keep up to date with and follow Government and Public Health England guidance.
The key issues for hosting a sports event are:
• PHE guidance should be read and followed
• For those travelling to sporting events overseas or returning from overseas to sports events, the Foreign Office’s travel advice should be read and followed
• Promote best practice for hygiene, ensuring cleaning is effective and soaps are provided (and sanitiser where possible)
• Anyone with flu symptoms should avoid the risk of spreading their infection, whatever that infection may be, by staying at home and recovering
• Clubs are advised that if any spectator presents to a club member of staff with possible flu-like symptoms they should be encouraged to leave, return home and call NHS 111 for further advice
• For those hosting sporting events, whatever their size, attendees and participants should stay up to date on the government’s latest advice on how to avoid catching or spreading the virus.